The formal beginnings of Concord were part of a gamble on the future, based on the time proven law of making money: buy low and sell high. With that purpose in mind, thirty-five men formed the Connecticut Land Company to purchase the lands of the Western Reserve, an area 120 miles long and 50 miles wide extending from the Pennsylvania border to what is now Sandusky.
As the land was un-surveyed, the first task for the Land Company was to have its holdings surveyed and divided into townships each five miles square. Moses Cleaveland, a graduate of Yale University, a lawyer, a Brigadier General and Representative to Legislature, was appointed General Agent to supervise the work. His surveying team consisted of Augustus Porter, Seth Pease and John Holley. About forty others accompanied them as axmen, chainmen and rodmen. Among them were men whose names are still well known in this area today: Stow, Perry, Chapman, and Charles Parker who became the first settler in Lake County.
Originally designated as Number 10 of the eight range, Concord became known as an equalizing township. Lands in Concord were added to a man’s holdings when townships remaining in the drawing fell below the average quality rating. Daniel Coit was the original owner of Number 10 although he never traveled to this area to inspect his holding.
In 1802 Thomas Jordan became the first settler in Concord or Wilson’s Corners as it was known then. In the following years he was joined by John Hewitt, Robert Martin, Elisha Loomis, William Roolin, Spencer Phillips, Hosea Brown and Jacob Morse.
Although the early settlers had no need for government authority, the problems of buying and paying for land from the Connecticut land Company ultimately required that this area unite with the Northwest Territory under Governor St. Clair. The Western Reserve originally formed into one county, Trumbull, with Warren as the County Seat.
Formal Establishment of the Township
In 1805 Concord became part of Geauga County when that county was created. At the March, 1822, meeting ordered by the Geauga County Commissioners, the Township to be known as Concord, in honor of the Revolutionary War battle site, was separated from Painesville Township. On August 22, 1831, Daniel and Elizabeth Coit of Norwich Connecticut deeded to the Trustees of Concord Township and their successors forever the Concord Township Public Grounds located on the corner of Old Route State 44 and state Route 608. The property that was referred to as the Commons was to be used for the benefit of the citizens of Concord Township. For the sum of one dollar, the property now occupied by Concord Town Hall, Fire Station One, and the Gazebo, became the site of Concord’s government.
In March of 1840, Lake County was separated from Geauga County so that the formal government organization of Concord Township, Lake County, Ohio, United States of America was completed.
Policing & Law Enforcement
Concord Township does not have its own police department. We rely on the Lake County Sheriff and his deputies to enforce township, county and state laws. If you have any non-emergency questions or concerns about law enforcement issues, please call the Sheriff's Office at 440.350.5601. Lake County Sheriff
Zip Codes and School Districts
Concord Township has three zip codes and three school districts. Children who live in homes with a 44077 zip code attend Painesville Township Local Schools; children in a 44060 zip code attend Mentor Public Schools; and children in a 44024 zip code attend Chardon Local Schools. Schools
In Townships certain regulations are established by a majority vote of the Trustees and are called "resolutions". Most people are familiar with the term "ordinances", which is the term ascribed to regulations established by municipalities like cities and villages. Townships are not municipalities.